shellysjournal

Shelly's Book Journal

The 3 Rs: Reading, Reviews & Recs.

Let's chat about books!

The Civil War, Vol. 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
Shelby Foote
Progress: 380/976 pages

The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeño Society Jubilee

The Blue-Ribbon Jalapeno Society Jubilee - Carolyn Brown This is a comical story of strong-willed southern women and long going feuds and friendships in a small Texas town called Cadillac. Most of these women are members of The Blue Ribbon Jalapeno Society - a group that has won many state fair ribbons for their spicy peppers. Most of the action centers around Clawdy's restaurant and the owners Cathy, Marty and Trixie. There is love and hate, scheming and dreaming, traditions and faith.The characters are delightful in their quirky personalities. The plot is more driven by these characters, and the discovery of themselves along with revelations to the readers. The world doesn't get saved in Cadillac, Texas, but the reader finishes the book feeling like they have been on a jolly romp with friends.While the author's literary merits include a variety of romance books, I would call this one a deviation from her normal genre. It's spicy characters and humorous plot line will appeal to lovers of chick lit. Since this is the first book by the author, I'm wondering if there are some "inside jokes" that fans of her series will get. Regardless, this is a fun light read - might even be good to take to the beach this summer.Recommend for: Lovers of chick lit and Carolyn Brown fans.Note: I received a copy of the book from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.