shellysjournal

Shelly's Book Journal

The 3 Rs: Reading, Reviews & Recs.

Let's chat about books!

The Civil War, Vol. 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
Shelby Foote
Progress: 380/976 pages

Coming Soon: "The Bookstore" by Deborah Meyler

The Bookstore - Deborah Meyler

RELEASE DATE:  August 8, 2013

Esme Garland, a British PhD student in NYC, finds herself unexpectedly pregnant.  Rather than shelf her plans, she decides to get a job at the Owl - a local bookstsore - and prepare for the birth.  When her baby's father changes his mind on his level of involvement, it sends Esme spinning and her bookstore family rallying around her.

The story is told in the first person, from Esme's point of view.  We see into her soul, and understand her personality.  She is supported by an eclectic band of book lovers at the Owl bookstore.  Truly her interaction with this motley crew "makes" the story.  And we the reader seem to understand things about her friends and her fiance that she herself cannot perceive.

The plotline is compelling.  We see Esme struggle with many issues throughout the book, trying to come to terms with what she believes to be right and what othes want her to do.  Just when we think resolution is coming, the story goes off in another direction or other details intervene.

Overall, an enjoyable novel.  Very good first effort.

Recommend for:  Women's fiction lovers.

Note:  I was provided a copy of the book by the publisher.  All opinion expressed are my own.