shellysjournal

Shelly's Book Journal

The 3 Rs: Reading, Reviews & Recs.

Let's chat about books!

Genre: Mystery/Humor

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Available:  Releasing July 9, 2013

My rating:  4 of 5 stars

Summary:  This book picks up where the last one left off.  Let me cue the situation:

• -Izzy hostile take over has really become hostile.

-Edward has now made Izzy his consultant and requires her to run daily to bounce things off her and incorporates her assistance into a number of zany plots.

-Sydney (aka Princess Banana) has issues with yet another Spellman babysitter.

-Rae is up to something.

There are lots of twists and turns, surprises, a few new characters and some old ones who seem to be very disenfranchised creating extreme conflict.  But when crisis hits, how will the family deal?

Review:

I am not much of a series person.  I try to avoid them at all costs, but this whole series has sucked me in from the first book.  Who doesn't love the family of P.I.s who practice their skills on one another?  I started reading them last year and found for the first time my series soul mate.  The twisted plots and unpredictable behavior of the family over the years kept the series fresh and interesting.  The format - written as a case file - also brought a unique perspective.  This book is the last in the series, it appears, and I applaud Lutz for ending it while it was still fresh and changing rather than beat the series out for 20 plus books.  And there were still laughs to be had, stories to be exploited, and sarcasm to be dished out.

The story definitely has changed some over the years, and Izzy has matured leaving behind the juvenile hy-jinx side, but still leaving the "devil may care" attitude.  This book also featured some commentary from Rae's perspective on the "cases" enclosed, but then jumps back to Izzy.

Readers who have enjoyed the mayhem of previous books will love this final chapter in the lives of the funniest P.I. family the literary world had every known.

Note:  I was provided a copy of the book by the publisher and am very grateful.  All opinions expressed are my own.