shellysjournal

Shelly's Book Journal

The 3 Rs: Reading, Reviews & Recs.

Let's chat about books!

The Civil War, Vol. 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian
Shelby Foote
Progress: 380/976 pages

Until I Say Goodbye - Must Read in 2013

Until I Say Good-Bye: My Year of Living with Joy - Susan Spencer-Wendel, Bret Witter

A very moving and touching story. Susan (the author) has ALS. Even as she is writing this book, her muscles and nerves are deteriorating. Eventually she will die. But even with her right thumb the only functioning digit, she taps this story away on her iPhone. It's the story of her life, molded into the perspective of someone seeing the end come too soon. And as she accepts her diagnosis, she decides to live joyfully in spite of it all.

Have you complained about something today? Or have you rejoiced in the opportunities you've had? Sure life isn't easy, but it could be much harder. And if you read this book, it will change your whole perspective on "harder." And you will realize that you have the power to determine how you feel about anything that comes your way. YOU can make a difference.

This was a beautiful book. Susan perfectly blended the last years of her life - dealing with symptoms and finally the death sentence, with the things that had shaped her and prepared her for this time. And then she grabbed the proverbial brass ring to ride with joy to the end - painting memories for her family into the sunset of her life.

I fell in love with Susan's spirit, her sense of adventure and the love she has for everyone around her. I will recommend this book to everyone!!!!

Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.